When you pull the Swing Shirt out of the packaging your first thought might be, oh, ok – this is a little strange.
After putting it on over my golf shirt, the fit was snugger than I thought it would be. Maybe this is why they size it by your weight and not traditional sizing. Not sure.
Instructions for Use
The instructions from Swing Shirt on how and why to use its product:
“After you put on The Golf Swing Shirt over your shirt, insert one arm at a time into the center sleeve. The shirt should fit snug with no loose material. Begin practice by hitting half-swing pitching wedges and then go to a full swing with every club in your bag.
Feel like you are striking the ball with the turning of your body rather than the flippling of your hands and always keep your hands slightly ahead of the ball at impact.
This will help you hit down on the ball which is what all good ball strikers do!”
It goes on to say, “The Golf Swing Shirt is also great for chipping and putting to learn a consistent motion through the ball.”
I was glad to this product was Proudly Made in America, but
Using the Swing Shirt: Best Golf Training Aids
The word intuitive doesn’t describe this golf training aid well enough.
There isn’t much thought required involved in using it. Just put on the shirt and swing the clubs.
Careful, you may get a few laughs at the range, but pay no attention. Just keep hitting the ball.
Warming up at the range is extremely important. When you use this swing training aid the best thing to do is hit some chip shots. I used a 9-iron and hit a dozen shots with a half swing to get a feel for what the swing felt like.
When I started hitting full shots I switched to a 7-iron.
What I Noticed After My First Swings
Every golfer has a different swing, so what you feel if you were to use this training aid might feel different
- My arms felt closer together and I could feel ‘the triangle’ you are supposed to make
- As I rotated in the swing I felt more connected but realized how little coil my swing has
- Tempo in your swing is so important – anything out of sync produced bad shots
- My wrists were ‘up’ and pointing at the ball, but when I held my wrists ‘down’ the ball started flying
- A few people chuckled. It probably doesn’t help that I’m 6’5″ 240 pounds with a little belly. Lol!
Pros and Cons
- A great training aid for golfers who struggle with staying connected during the swing. If someone has told you to work on your tempo this will help you.
- Simple and easy to use, portable and light.
- Helps with swing tempo
- Optimizes your swing so you can strike the ball well and follow through properly
- It looks very awkward, and golfers who are larger will find it tight.
- It’s great for use hitting irons but will take time to adjust to hitting drivers, 3-wood, hybrids. But, those golf clubs are more difficult to hit anyway
- You may hear chuckles, but once they see your swing improve, they may want to talk to you
- The Golf Swing Shirt is designed to “keep you connected” during the swing and it largely delivers on its promise.
What I didn’t like was even with the trunk tucked into the shirt, after hitting 5 to 10 balls the trunk would start to back itself out and I would have to pull it back in. It never affected my vision, but you just know it was happening. The other and most annoying thing was raking a new ball over to hit. I think that is why I most hit at max about 10 to 15 balls at a time and dreaded hitting tee shots.
I don’t want to end on a negative note. I feel this product has merit to those who believe in what it is trying to accomplish and want to take the time and effort to get the most out of it. I will leave it like this: Did it feel strange at first? Yes. Am I still getting used to the feel? Yes. Do I feel connected? Yes. Am I hitting better and more consistent shots with better body tempo? Yes.
Early Results at the Range
After 4 practice range sessions, I’m seeing a few interesting results.
- Much tighter shot dispersion – see results below (orange = 8 iron without shirt on. yellow = shots with The Golf Swing Shirt training aid)
- More consistent ball striking
- If my swing was too quick, without fail, I’d hit hosel rockets
How The Golf Swing Shirt Looks in Use
Watch this video of basics for using The Golf Swing Shirt – arms in, arms out.
The Golf Swing Shirt retails for $59.95 or $69.95, depending on the size.
I should have purchased this golf training aid years before I did. It would have helped me develop a better swing to strike the ball more consistently, which is a confidence builder. And confidence in your swing builds better golf.